Thursday, October 21, 2004

Another open-minded liberal

You know how its conservatives who are the close-minded, intolerant ones, right? Check out the following "reader review" [sic] at Amazon.com of John J. Miller's new book, "Our Oldest Enemy: A History of America's Disasterous Relationship with France":
    I haven't read this juvenile book, and for a good reason, October 21, 2004
    Reviewer: Manish Gyawali - See all my reviews


    Two good reasons actually. First, of course, notice the title itself. Anything that silly, that reductionist, that one sided, when the weight of history should lead any rational person to conclude that there might have been times when the two countries agreed greatly in matters of culture and the prospects for the world ought to be proof itself not to take the book seriously.
    And second, and as tellingly, notice the reviews of the book by people who agree with what the book has to say--nothing but general and rather simple-minded views about how disgusting and smelly and wimpy the French are.
    But this is the sort of thing you would expect from someone who works for the "National Reveiw"--high volume,low intellect, my way or the highway style arguments that leave no reason for any nuance or context.
"I haven't read this book, but boy is it bad!"

Jeez. If I were going to slam a book I'd never even read, I sure wouldn't come out at trumpet the fact that I hadn't read it.

(Hat tip: John J. Miller)

No comments: