Saturday, April 19, 2003

Unintelligible

The other day I linked an editorial in the Arab News, and offered my letter to the author. Today (via The Corner) I came across this opinion piece, in which the writer refers to "the murder of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians and soldiers, and ten times that number of injured, most with permanent injuries."

This guy is supposedly talking about Operation Iraqi Freedom, but where he gets his numbers is beyond me.

He only serves to heighten my incredulity regarding the Arab response to the op. So many Arabs (who knows what percentage of the overall population they represent... I sure don't) have strange, incomprehensible responses to the liberation of Iraqis from Saddam's reign of terror. Some are depressed that Saddam's regime failed to put up a fight, believing somehow that this reflects poorly on the Arab Fighting Man.

I don't get it. How does the response of the defenders of the Hussein regime to our armed forces reflect in any way on, say, Joe Egyptian, or Joe Jordanian? I realize that there are religious and culture ties, but c'mon... I wouldn't react in this way if the Chinese took it to the Russians, or the Russians to the Germans (we didn't, in '42-'45, in fact).

Amazed and incredulous. That's me.

No comments: