Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Bleg

One of the books I'm currently reading is Nancy Pearcey's Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from Its Cultural Captivity. I'll blog more on it later... it's a very good book, with (so far) just a few flaws. Right now, I need some help...

At one point, Pearcey quotes Rousseau, who saw the liberation of the individual from civilization (yes, I typed that correctly) as coming from the state: "Each citizen would then be completely independent of all his fellow men, and absolutely dependent on the state."

It's quite a quote... it certainly fits in with Rousseau's political philosophy. But here's the thing... the only reference she can provide is to a work by twentieth century sociologist Robert Nisbet, who did not give a reference when he originally quoted it himself.

So... for all those Rousseau scholars who read this blog: can you point me to the original source?

Much obliged!

No comments: