Monday, April 25, 2005

Letter to the NYTimes

A number of Catholic bloggers are commenting on Maureen Dowd's (latest) wacked-out column on B16, cleverly entitled, "Uncle Dick & Papa". It ran in Saturday's edition of the Times.

Here's the letter I sent off to the editor; I'm still awaiting word of its publication...
    Dear Editor,

    It appears that Ms. Dowd needs to do some more background research before she writes again about Pope Benedict XVI; in her column, "Uncle Dick and Papa," she states that the pope "wants to dismantle Vatican II." She apparently does not know that he was a leading theologian at that Council for the progressive element, that his fundamental perspectives are unchanged, and that as recently as Wednesday he reiterated his belief that the Council must still be implemented. Ms. Dowd's assertion, then, has absolutely no bearing in reality.
Now, I know that there are some folks who read this blog and disagree with me, even vehemently. But I'd like to think that I never offer views so discordant with reality as Ms. Dowd does.

But -- hey! -- if it makes her a buck, go for it, right?

No comments: