Friday, May 30, 2003

This is getting very tiresome...

Joel Engel writes today about Danny Glover and a threatened boycott of MCI because Glover -- the pitchman for the company -- supports Fidel Castro. Engel refers to an AP story in which Glover indicates that "the outcry directed at outspoken celebrities like himself and Sean Penn indicates that the country is teetering on the precipice of McCarthyism" (Engel's words).

Come onnnn, Glover... give me a break. If I, as a citizen and consumer in this country, decide that I don't want to do business with MCI -- for whatever reason -- that's my right as a citizen! How can the free actions of citizens in any way be called McCarthyism or censorship, for heaven's sake? Those things are imposed by the government not citizens or groups of citizens! Talk about stupid... if I think Glover has his head up is rear-end on politics, I can demonstrate that by chosing whom I do business with. That's America, helloooo!

Allow me to quote Wallace Shawn's character, Vizzini, in The Princess Bride: "Morons."

No comments: