Wednesday, February 12, 2003

Pat and I agree

I'm listening to Catholic Answers Live, and the guest is Pat Madrid.

Pat just made a great point. A caller, herself a convert, asked how to respond to those who claim that many converts simply bring their fundamentalist tendencies into the Church and don't become fully Catholic.

In the course of his answer, Pat mentioned that sometimes, converts enter into the Church and don't spend enough time "simply being Catholic" before they "hit the circuit," i.e. before they start engaging in apologetics publicly.

I agree completely; this echoes something I've been thinking about for the past several months. While many (most?) converts who truly convert out of conviction that the Catholic Church has the fullness of the truth, that does not mean that they have been sufficiently formed in their faith to begin public teaching. I reverted just over eight years ago, and -- as they say -- the more I learn (including two years of undergrad theology and three years of grad theology), the more I realize I don't know.

No comments: