Sunday, February 22, 2004

Others' "pre-take" on The Movie

Some of the readers at The Right Christians -- most of them liberal Christians -- aren't all that excited about seeing Mel Gibson's movie (see the comments to this post). One such commenter said,
    If there's anything to be gained from hyper-realism it's this: NOT "Look how Jesus suffered!" but "Look what was considered 'acceptable'---crucifixions, by the *thousands and thousands*---by the (self-appointed) 'highest' and/or most powerful cultures of the time. What are we Americans---living in the culture (self-appointed) 'highest' and most powerful of *our* time---overlooking and deeming acceptable NOW??"
I'm not really surprised. I don't know if I could explain why, but if you would've asked me if many liberal Christians are interested in a uber-realistic depiction of Jesus' passion, I would have said probably not. And that appears to be the case.

Don't get me wrong: I know some people who aren't liberal Christians and have no desire to see the film -- it's too violent... it's not up their "spiritual alley"... things like that. And I can understand that.

But there seems to be something else underneath the perspective of liberal Christians... if I can put my finger on it, I'll let you know.

No comments: