Saturday, January 05, 2008

A fav Lutheran blogger

Taking a timeout from yet another blogging hiatus here at Veritas to plug a blog: Weedon's blog, authored by Lutheran (LCMS) pastor William Weedon. Pastor Weedon exhibits an ability which -- at least in my experience -- is somewhat rare among confessional LCMS bloggers: you get the sense that he defines himself more by what he is (a confessional LCMS Lutheran) than by what he is not (a Catholic, or Reformed, etc.). (Unfortunately, the same tendency can be found among people of any tradition -- including Catholicism -- who are zealous about their orthodoxy; there's something about that zeal that tempts us to identify ourselves by opposition to others.)

Pastor Weedon reminds me of something often said by some Lutheran converts to Catholicism: with the truth at the heart of his view of justification (apart from the errors), Luther might have been able to reform the Church from within, instead of falling into heresy and excommunication. Alas. Why does Weedon's blog remind me of this? Because he offers us (in my opinion) some idea of the best that Lutheranism has to offer.

So: check him out. And be Catholic. :-)

2 comments:

Schütz said...

Indeed, I second absolutely everything you say in this blog. This is my firt visit to Veritas. I thought I would check you out after leaving the comment on my blog regarding Fr Morerod. You appear to be a very restrained blogger! I will check out the other blogs you are a member of.

Unknown said...

Greetings, David! Thanks for the comment! I discovered your (main) blog sometime last year, and very much enjoyed (and continue to enjoy) reading it and your other blogs (your journey into the Church is fascinating!). I've got a special place in my heart of confessional Lutheran converts to Catholicism :-)

Am I a restrained blogger? That's one way to put it :-)

It's probably more a matter of becoming a father in June of 2004, and following her up with twin siblings in February of '06! As my blog archive indicates, posts fell off rather dramatically in '04 & never really recovered, but it's probably for the best... don't get sucked into the web, David! :-)

p.s. We know someone in common: Dr. Tracy Rowland. Well, *know* might be a bit strong... I've had the pleasure of meeting her and we've exchanged a few emails. I never contacted OUP for a review copy, so at this point I'm just going to wait for the US publication of her book on Ratzinger.